We went to the school today and there was construction going on so it was understandably intimidating. But once we got inside, we met a lovely man that made Ruby and Felix feel very comfortable and excited about going to school. The first thing he showed them was the huge pool and sport court. The only trouble was it was hard to settle them down to talk after that but David and I will go back tomorrow for a meeting without the kids. As Ruby's nerves grow, so do mine. I know she'll do great but it will be a little tense at first.
We've met Loads of neighborhood kids now, in fact, it was a bit overwhelming. We live right across from a soccer field (READ: empty lot used for soccer). They had so many questions. They had their English book from school and kept asking me to read it. I was a little scatter-brained trying to read and answer questions while keeping an eye on Ruby and Felix. It was fun though and the boys have a lot of energy. They came over to play in our yard later in the afternoon - they are all ages 6-10. They were respectful and friendly and shared well with Ruby and Felix. Today there were a few girls that came by that I was not so sure about - playing keep away with Felix and then not taking to kindly to us having to go inside. We'll see where these friendships go. Not surprisingly Ruby is the size of the 8 year olds and Felix is the size of the 5 year olds.
Today was a big day in my world in terms of increasing my confidence. I ventured out on my own for the first time (without David). Today is Ruby's 5th birthday and even though we've celebrated many times already I asked her what special thing she would like to do. She requested a motocarro ride! I decided to take her downtown to an ice cream cafe for a treat. She ordered the special sundae and it took her entire being just to make it to through the top layer. She was a trooper though and plugged away. We also managed to get Felix some more shoes, fruit and toothbrushes with no language problems whatsoever. To top it off, I was even able to direct the motocarro driver back to our house. Success in small steps!
Today marks one week we have been here. I miss everyone so it is great to hear from people but am surprised at how well things have been going. There are still challenges of course but as most of you know, I had my expectations set pretty low ;) Nervous that the internet has been down for the last day and am planning to look into a satellite connection - there is no way I will be able to retain my job without a reliable connection and there is no way I can lose my job.
I have some special news for you!!!! We had a big thunder storm this evening and a tree blew down across the power lines at Old Gun and Young Manor. And get this.............the power was out on the other side of the lake but...........we have power on our street!!!!!!!!!!!! Yay! Must be a first. I am sorry for all the others lost theirs, though.
ReplyDeleteCongrats on making it through the first week! Keep up the good work and keep the posts coming.
ReplyDeleteHi Leigh,
ReplyDeleteReally enjoying your blog. Very well written and so informative. Didn't know the local kids were studying English and that you are helping. Good job! And good luck with the Internet connection.
Love, Dad
Wow Miriam!! That definitely is a first and I can't believe we are missing it!! :)
ReplyDeleteDad - very, very minimal help so far but there are some sweet kids eager to learn so we have agreed to help eachother. Only trouble is I would like more 1 to 1 or 1 to 2 conversations. The 1 to 12 overwhelms me.
hi there,
ReplyDeleteyou don´t know me. i´m a childhood friend of judy le´s. she linked me to this blogspot because we were talking about living abroad, etc. i currently live and have been living in guatemala city now for a little over 3 years. reading your blog brings back the memories of the little things that i had trepidation or excitement over when i first arrived here in la ciudad. it sounds like where you are is a little less advanced than where i am along some things and more along other things. these are the things i thought when i first came to guate also - that i couldn´t flush the toilet paper (that turned out to be depending on where i lived and the development of the sewage system, the places where i couldn't had clear signs that would tell me. i CAN in my own apt, thank god!), that i couldn't drink the water from the faucet (well i technically can't and wouldn't though many a guatemalans do. i do things as normally as i would though - brush my teeth, boil water for food, etc. and i did those things immediately), among other things. the movistar vs. claro debate is interesting because here claro is the way to go so i guess movistar got to peru first. and apparently i arrived in guatemala not too long after it was taking people 8 years to get a telephone line and the movies that were showing in the theater were 5 years old. i'm happy to say that things are advancing here, fairly quickly. well, that's relative. i have a 1MB connection but have learned to live with it and don't really notice the awfully long loading times until i return to the states and experience the glorious speeds there. which is why i haven't returned in 8 months.
anyway, keep it up, i hope you enjoy it more and more everyday. i know i have and i don't know how it'll be when i have to return stateside. but enjoy it while you can, and i'm sure the kids will experience a life and things that you would in no way get in the u.s.
cheers!
tran
Hi Tran! Thanks for checking out our blog. Any friend of Judy's is a friend of mine!! My husband was in the Peace Corps in Guatemala so I'm sure you'd have things to share. best, Leigh
ReplyDelete