Meet Kevin
This is Kevin, also 10. He's the best and most enthusiastic new ultimate player around - which, of course, is a big plus in my book. I also like him because he takes the time to speak slowly to me so I understand, well mostly. We have talked about a lot of different landmarks in the world - the first ones that popped in his mind were The Statue of Liberty (is that in Colombia or US he asked?), The Leaning Tower or Pisa, The Titanic (huh?). He was very curious about all the countries I had visited and when I asked where he wanted to go he said Brazil, Colombia, Venezuela - EVERYWHERE. Up to now, he has yet to leave Pucallpa though.
We were having one conversation about holidays and how they are celebrated. We talked about Christmas and the trees and New Years and the fireworks. Like most 10 year old boys, he was quite enthused about the fireworks! Then, he started telling me about this man on our street that puts a frog in his mouth to celebrate New Years! Wait, wait, back up... say that again? I am catching the words 'Rana' and 'en boca'. Ok, I know a frog is rana, and mouth is boca. Rana en boca. Ok, to each his own, cultural differences abound - I guess the man is thinking 'Happy New Year - let's put a frog in my mouth! Party!' ... I couldn't help but think I had something wrong though so a few minutes later I made David confirm the story with him. Turns out - the man on our street ignites fireworks in the Frog's mouth on New Years. Although no less disgusting, it at least makes marginally more sense. I guess.
No comments:
Post a Comment