We've made some progress and a few hiccups. We had this HUGE 65 foot tower installed to help improve our internet connection. Yes, that is a guy at the top of the tower in the photo. Leave to us to just completely change the skyline ;). This is our own and not part of our housing complex - which was ok when it worked but kept cutting out. Still not totally sure about the speed but trying my best to move on from the chaos of working at friend's houses and having the workers here for 3 days. The hardest part is download and upload speed.
Felix has had a rocky week, poor little bug. He cried fully and whole-heartedly Monday and Tuesday. (I've included a pic of how he feels, but spared you the .wav file ;)) Wednesday there was marked improvement and the security guard, Juan, said un poco. Today there was a little relapse but it didn't get so bad they had to bring him to see Ruby (though that was doing worlds for her feelings of importance). He even saw her on the playground today and said 'Hello' and continued on with his class. So I'm thinking that is pretty huge. Like all kids that start pre-school, he just needs to learn that we ARE in fact coming back for him.
Ruby seems very happy going to and from school, well mainly because it is a motocarro, but also her fears seem to be gone. She has had some homework and appears to be right in there. Already starting to volunteer a few phrases at home in Spanish.
The kids have had some run-ins with bugs this week and I'm ready to get mosquito netting for them to sleep under. I'm currently building it up as cool tent living and we'll go get them this weekend. 12 soles (4 bucks) and I'll feel and sleep a whole lot better knowing they are not being eaten at night. It feels like we don't have that many more mosquitoes than summer days in Austin or Richmond but if just a few get in the house when people come in/out, it's bad news for the kiddos. David and I have not been so affected as we sleep under a sheet and with the fan on, even though this is taboo here. Ruby has trouble staying under a sheet and Felix refuses to let us turn his fan on! So they are getting the brunt. They are also obsessed with playing in the 'sand' (read: dirt) and I'm thinking something besides mosquitoes is getting them.
I adore the neighborhood kids! I feel like we have a Peruvian Fat Albert crew going on. They are so fun and ready to play anytime our door begins to be ajar. And they help me with my Spanish - sometimes the adults seem hesitant to correct me, when that is the only way I can learn. The kids do so with a very matter-of-fact tone that places no judgment on my missteps. Yesterday, as I tossed the frisbee with Jim (age 8) I started to get big ideas about a little junior ulti on that empty lot...:) Also devising a plan to get them motivated for litter pickup - have seen them self organize for plastic bottle collection for money so why not litter? Hesitate to start a money incentive though, and then try to turn it into - wouldn't it be great to do this just because? Please put your suggestions in the comments. Having this connection with the kids is really incredible - feel like I'm getting the straight scoop on a slice of life here.
David has played soccer with the young adult guys a few times. My lack of a Y chromosome (oh yeah and any sort of soccer skill) keeps me off the pitch. But I have been asked to play volleyball a few times by neighborhood women. Most women play volley (altho it is ok for men to play too). It seems really fun but I watched them the other day play 3 on 3 and they were really good! So I think I should continue to practice with the couple of teenage girls that asked me (and also want to practice their English) before moving up to the big time game... and by big time, I mean a street game on a dirt road outside my house with zero spectators. as big time as that is.
Thanks for all of your wonderful birthday greetings! It really made my day. David was at a conference all day and night so Ruby and I popped popcorn and watched Jungle Book. ;) Nothing really to write home about but we will celebrate in some way this weekend. I'd really like to find a pool - heard there are 10 neighborhood pools. The air is warm here - and you definitely avoid being outside from 1-4 or so but I think we are starting to adjust. With a fan on during the heat of the day and our stucco house, it is seeming ok.
I think the main accomplishment right now is that we've got two weeks down and no one has gotten sick yet! You don't realize how many times a day you and your children come in contact with tap water until it is something potentially sickening. If you are in a place with safe tap water, you're lucky. This problem is not limited to a small part of the world. Oh, and as a personal favor, when you meet people struggling with your language please just smile, talk slower and be very understanding :) People here, especially women, are affording me that courtesy on a regular basis.
No comments:
Post a Comment