Wednesday, September 15, 2010

And then, there was a lull

Around the house


Before coming on the trip, we knew there would be some rough patches and true enough we had one. Nothing very unusual - just a series of illnesses and hot days. The power outage really kicked it over the edge. And when we lost water on top of that - some real doubt (temporarily) trickled in to my mind about what exactly we were doing here.

Interestingly enough, I don't think any of the illness was jungle related. Felix and David developed a cough and bronchitis. The problem was, like with any 2 year old, getting the medicine in him. He didn't seem to be reacting that well to the medicine in terms of loss of appetite and uh, diaper-related issues. And it seemed to linger for quite some time. I think he is on the mend now, as well as David. Diapers are no fun for kids or the adults who change them - no matter where you live. But when it is hitting 90-100 consistently, it is just extra layers of heat on your body.

Ruby was sick a few weeks ago, briefly. And again the last few days with something different, a cold. Sunday I had some kind of issue that laid me flat on my back. Sickness here though is doubly stressful - wondering, worrying about dengue or any other tropical issue. We are all feeling better now and they were luckily run-of-the-mill type things. Plus the power is back on, which makes a huge difference even though we don't have air conditioning. I never knew how married I was to the fan before but it helps dramatically. And as I mentioned, it also keeps mosquitos off at night so when you don't have a fan and are already warmer - you have to sleep under a sheet to make sure mosquitos don't get you. Even if you can accomplish this, it is impossible to get the kids to buy in.

No comments:

Post a Comment